Bio Leaf Premium Aroid Potting Mix
Bio Leaf Premium Aroid & Hoya Potting Mix can be used to grow most Aroid, Hoya and related epiphytic type plants. It can be used as a general potting mix for most indoor plants, succulents and bonsai trees.
It has been designed to hold enough water without becoming waterlogged. The watering frequency in summer is 3 to 5 days and in winter is 4 to 7 days.
It will promote good development of the foliage, improve nutrient uptake, assist in reducing transplant shock and encourage better root growth and health.
Below are some of the properties of our Aroid Potting Mixture.
- Reduction in the effects of transplant shock: It contains an array of bioactive organic compounds to help plants reduce the effects of transplant shock.
- Improved absorption of nutrients: Nutrients are bio-available for improved root uptake.
- Quick and slow release of nutrients: We have prepared the nutrient package to present some nutrients to be available almost immediately and sustained release over a 3 to 4 month period. Results will vary.
- Good Drainage/Aeration: The ingredients used create a non-clumping substrate and allow for the free movement of air and moisture throughout the root zone, which will help prevent root rot. This will also encourage more and thicker roots to develop.
- Moisture: The mix will hold sufficient water without becoming waterlogged. The water will be held in reserve and released to plants as they need it. The gradual release of water improves plant growth.
- Moisture Distribution: The moisture will be fairly evenly distributed throughout the pot, and this means that most of the root system will have access to moisture and nutrients. In turn, healthy roots will assist with developing stems, foliage, and flowers/fruit.
- Promotes Microbial Populations: We have inoculated the mix with a propriety microbial blend to optimise root health and nutrient availability.
- Less Salt Build Up: Using a quality fertiliser like Dyna Gro will result in hardly any salt build-up, resulting in a less likely hood of root tip burn.
- Improve Root Health: Some of the ingredients used to create this mix have been observed to reduce root-related disease.
The Aroid Mix is available in three grades:
- The nugget sizes are approximately 3 mm to 6 mm in size.
- It is suitable for plants with fine roots, seedlings or newly rooted plants.
Medium grade: (This was previously called Fine Grade.)
- The nugget sizes are approximately 3 mm to 9 mm in size.
- This is a good general-purpose mix that can be used for most indoor plants.
- The nugget sizes are approximately 8 mm to 20 mm in size.
- This is an open mix allowing for good air movement in the pot. It is suitable for plants with thicker roots and roots.
Bio Leaf Premium Aroid and Hoya have the perfect blend of orchid bark, tree fern fibre, pumice, crushed hardwood charcoal, and earthworm castings. We also inoculate the mix with our custom blend of fungi and bacteria. The fungi and bacteria used in our mix have been shown to improve root growth and health and aid nutrient uptake.
It will promote healthier foliage, improve nutrient uptake, reduce transplant shock, and encourage better root growth and health.
When to water your plant?
We have found that watering once every two to three days in summer and once four to five days in winter works for most plants. This can vary depending on:
- Rate of transpiration, i.e. how much water your plants lose through the leaves (photosynthesis). Plants with a big leaf canopy will consume more water than plants with a few leaves.
- Relative humidity and temperature. The less humidity and colder temperatures will affect how much water evaporates from the surface of the potting mix. If you live in a colder part of New Zealand, your potting mix will take longer to dry out than in the warmer areas.
A good rule of thumb is to let the top 3cm of the potting mixture dry out before watering.
Tips For Reducing Transplant Shock
Before you repot your plant, soak it in a solution of fertiliser and seaweed. Seaweed contains plant growth hormones and other biological compounds that stimulate plants to grow and help with overcoming stress. It is good practice to use seaweed weekly for the next six weeks. Doing this will helps your plants overcome the effects of repotting and get them settled and growing in their new home.
A monthly seaweed feed gently stimulates growth and helps all plants grow better.
This potting mix is suitable for all species of ...
- Alocasia (Elephant Ears or Taro)
- Aglaonemas (Chinese Evergreens)
- Caladium (Heart of Jesus)
- Devil's Ivy (Pothos, Epipremnum, Scindapsus)
- Dieffenbachia (Dumb Canes)
- Fiddle Leaf Fig
- Monstera (Cheese Plants, Monstera adansonii, Monkey-Mask Plant)
- Peace Lilies
- Rhaphidophora (Monstera minima, Philodendron minima)
- Syngonium - Arrow Heads